[Wolves] RE: University of Wolverhampton

David Morley davmor2 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 09:17:14 GMT 2006

Matthew let me first say thanks for getting in touch.

As the newly appointed Lug master one thing I was most interested in
was raising awareness of the lug.  In order to do that you need to
find people interested in learning more and sharing info on their
experience of Linux, hence the idea of a poster at the uni.

We are more of a social group than a formal one so although the idea
of using your premises is an interesting one, I doubt the current
members would be that interested. (correct me if I'm wrong guys.)

> 1. Promotion of existence of the LUG and related activities to
> staff/student population?

This would be fantastic, this was my aim with the posters.  We don't
really want to change that much of the lug, one of the reasons why our
lug is so popular is the fact that although it is organised it is
really a social group, great for out of work relax and laugh.
Although my hope is to organise more talk nights the main aim is to
keep that social feel that makes people want to attend.  The current
members have a wide variety of jobs and varied levels of skills in a
wide spectrum of Linux/Open source apps.  It is this area I believe
would be of most use to students/staff.  The knowledge base at the Lug
is quite expansive.  This has spawned a number of sub-projects
including LugRadio, phpwm (php West Midlands), Jokosher and others,
that students/staff are more than welcome to get onboard with.  This
again is a great source of info and an opportunity to learn new
skills.

> 2. Possible usage of University facilities to hold
> meetings/talks/discussions?

Again my hope is maybe not as formal as rooms you may have to offer,
that may limit interaction between members.  One of the things that we
love is the fact that during a meeting that is a non-talk night there
can be dozens of conversations going on over a pint and/or a meal.
This is why we are a popular lug you can normally find something of
interest to get your attention.  What you may wish to do is attend one
meeting or more and see if it would benefit the University
Staff/students to attend.  Any member of the Lug can give a talk on
any subject and I am currently working on a plan whereby we may
utilise the skills of members of other Lugs.  However I would like to
keep an open mind and obviously if meetings grew to a level too big to
house then I would hope that it would be a possibility to call on the
uni for rooms.  Especially if a number of the members were in
attendance at the uni but I can't see that needing to be the case for
a while.

Dave Morley

If you would like to chat directly then you can mail me on davmor2 at gmail.com

--