[Wolves] RE: University of Wolverhampton

Kevanf1 kevanf1 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 10:36:59 GMT 2006

On 06/11/06, David Morley <davmor2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> We are more of a social group than a formal one so although the idea
> of using your premises is an interesting one, I doubt the current
> members would be that interested. (correct me if I'm wrong guys.)

This point has been 'debated'.  I am not into the social side as
heavily as some guys.  But, think about this.  The meetings have been
getting to the point where fewer and fewer members are turning up.
Why?  Could it be that I am not the only one who is simply not into
the heavy social side of things.  I do not like sitting drinking in a
pub or room with people I may see every month or so.  Now, you can
argue that I don't come to meetings.  Well I have attended one.
Sorry, I was not impressed, I felt uncomfortable simple as that.  How
many other members feel this way but they are not saying anything for
fear of getting shouted down?  Now, I will say that I am not averse
tothe social side of membership in its entirety.  I have met and made
some very good aquaintances through this LUG.  But, I'm not interested
in a LUG that is all social and very little else.  I can hear the
howls of protest rising already.  This is my personal view of how the
LUG is at this moment.  Nobody can take that view away no matter how
much anybody protests.  Again, do others feel this way but they are
not willing to get shouted down, as does happen.

> > 2. Possible usage of University facilities to hold
> > meetings/talks/discussions?
>
> Again my hope is maybe not as formal as rooms you may have to offer,
> that may limit interaction between members.

But, what is wrong with an hours talk then going on to a pub or
restaurant for thse who wish to?  That way the LUG caters for more
members.  Conversly, those who do not want to attend a talk don't have
to, they can meet later and have their 'social'.  Everybody is happy
that way.

 One of the things that we
> love is the fact that during a meeting that is a non-talk night there
> can be dozens of conversations going on over a pint and/or a meal.

No, one of the things that you and some of the others love.  Not me
and, again, I suspect I'm not the only one.

> This is why we are a popular lug you can normally find something of
> interest to get your attention.

?  a popular LUG yes, perhaps.  But the meetings are attended by fewer
and fewer members.  Are you merely looking at membership numbers?
That is not an indication of popularity.  It may just be that a lot of
members can't be bothered to unsubscribe (or don't know).

Hopefully you'll take this input in the spirit it is offered.  I don't
wish to cause any more unpleasant, shall we say, debate?  We have had
enough of that in the recent past.  I am simply stating how I feel,
I'm standing up and hoping to be counted.

Don't take it to the tip recycle it via the Freecycle(r) Network.

For a group near to you look here:
Worldwide
http://www.freecycle.org/

United Kingdom