[Wolves] Bad Day

Rob Broadfield rob.broadfield at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 16 20:21:31 GMT 2008

One of them days.  We were told to switch our computers off last night
because of changes with the network.

No other info. given.  Turns out that a decision was made to alter the
routing (giving everyone new IP addresses and hostnames in the process).
Fine for the average user in the average department.  However, our
department has Software it relies on day-to-day for management of the
vehicle fleet, payment of bills, job costing etc. held on a Unix server.
This server and a bunch of printers connected to it via hp jetdirect boxes
suddenly became 'unavailable' because their old IP addresses (static) were
no longer valid.

Added to this, we have a vehicle tracking system set up for some managers
which can only function with certain ports open for each machine that uses
it (defined by IP address).  Our IT people therefore have to re-configure
the firewall for us to be able to use it.  There are one or two other
problems to sort, but it's been a nightmare of a day.  Consequently, I
didn't feel up to coming over to the LUG meeting tonight at all.  Any more
sight or talk of computers today would have led to a major sense of humour
failure.

Note to self (and advice to all):  If your IT people mention anything about
changes with the network again - get someone on the phone who knows what
they are talking about and ask them exactly what changes.