[Wolves] No-NAT ADSL Router

Chris Ellis chris.ellis.intrbiz at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 8 19:29:17 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 3:16 PM, Adam Sweet <adam at adamsweet.org> wrote:

> [...]
> the following reasons:
>
> 1) Persistent sync speed problems.
> 2) Traffic shaping which seemed to reach a head on Thursday when I went
> from getting around 400KB/s while downloading an iso to getting around
> 100KB within 10 mins.
> 3) F2S were very good until they were bought up by Pipex and then Tiscali.
>
> and (re)join an Enta reseller for the reasons discussed on Wednesday:
>
> 1) Enta don't throttle or traffic shape
> 2) The have direct access to the BT backbone and early access to
> forthcoming technologies (ie 21CN, IPv6 (I think))
> 3) Their NOC is 15 mins from my house and I know quite a few of their
> support staff through work.
> 4) Jon Farmer is a legend (just checking he is listening :))
> 5) After my original ADSL problems with F2S in 2006, I switched to Enta
> and had fantastic performance on the same line that I have had terrible
> problems either side of being with Enta. Sadly I had to leave them when
> I changed employer (as both the telephone line and the ADSL connection
> were paid for by my employer).
>
> So now I'm looking at ADSL24 and while my exchange isn't ADSL2+ enabled,
> I can still use ADSL Max with them and I thought, being the kind of
> technical guy I am, I would plump for the 8 public IPs at no cost, which
> means I'm going to need a new no-nat router.
>
> Can anyone recommend one? I've been using Linksys routers quite happily
> for around 5 years but they don't do a no-nat one, unless I'm missing
> the no-nat option going by some other name.
>
> Most I've googled seem to be either D-Link (not a fan of D-Link), Vigor
> (not convinced by the Vigors I've used either, though they were quite
> old), or no name brands. Bonus points for:
>
> +1 for wireless (I might be missing the point there, since you probably
> don't want your wireless LAN publicly routable).
>
> If that's not the case:
>
> +1 for wireless N.
> +1 for ADSL2+ so I don't have to buy a new router when my exchange is
> upgraded.
> +1 for IPv6 (or at least tunnel) support. I note there aren't really any
> consumer level devices which do this atm.
>
> I guess the next point then is to design the network, I'd imagine you
> put a NAT/firewall device of some kind on one of the IPs, so you can
> have a non-routeable internal LAN and have web visible some machines on
> the other public IPs.
>
>                  DSL network
> |                 DSL router                 |
>        |            |          |          |
>        |            |          |          |
>  ------------   ---------  ---------  ---------
>  |  NAT/FW  |   |Public |  |Public |  |Public |
>  ------------   |Machine|  |Machine|  |Machine|
>       |         ---------  ---------  ---------
>  -------------   ---------
>  |Private LAN|---|WLAN AP|
>  -------------   ---------
>
> Does that look sensible, over-engineered or have any glaring errors?

Pretty much the setup I ran, S518 for ADSL on nic running private lan and
using NAT
A bunch of servers on another nic on public IP's and an Atheros PCI wireless
card.

> Alternatively, I could look at one of the Sangoma ADSL cards Chris Ellis
> was talking about. Can you recommend a model Chris? It seems like the
> S519 does ADSL2+ and the S518 does everything up to ADSL Max.

I used a S518, worked wonders has loads of excellent features.
I believe that Vyatta now has support for these cards

> Can ADSL2+ devices operate in regular ADSL (Max) mode if so configured?
> What about these cards? This was the intention of raising the subject of
> Wednesday. I was worried that buying an ADSL2+ card/router might not
> support regular ADSL and my exchange won't be upgraded until 2010/11.
>
> Sorry to splurge a cluster-**** of noob questions. To summarise:
>
> 1) Can anybody recommend a no-nat router with any of the above plus points?

Get a low power (as in Watts) CPU and mobo, Mini-ITX's are good but ideally
need an extra PCI slot

> 2) Does the network layout look sensible?
> 3) Do ADSL2+ devices generally also support regular ADSL?
>

> 4) Would I be better off with a PCI DSL card and if so, which? They're
> pricy :)

Your welcome to borrow my S518 for a few weeks if needed.