[Wolves] Staffordshire, proprietary software, & EU procurement rules

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 3 10:44:31 UTC 2012

On 03/04/12 10:15, Peter Cannon wrote:
> On 03/04/12 09:19, Richard Smedley wrote:
>> Aside from illegally specifying particular proprietary software, this is
>> rather telling of localgov profligacy:
>> "The most expensive lot will be for workstations, which will cost
>> between £6.4m and £12.8m, according to the notice"
>>
>> <hint>LTSP, Skegness Grammar School</hint>
>>
>> - Richard
> Hey Rich (Richard)
> Erm not 100% certain about it being illegal given they are requesting
> specific 'branded' equipment. They 'might' be in breach of the Free
> Trade agreements or I suppose you could stretch a point in respect of
> Monopoly's. True they should abide by EU Procurement Agreements
> http://sprig.gs/6i but who in the OSC (Open Source Community) makes an
> iPad?

The point is that many firms make "tablets" but only one makes "iPads"

It's like specifying "Daimler DS420" instead of "Limousine": Bentley
(& a host of other German manufacturers) would have cause to complain
under competition law. [1]

On the specific example of the several £100K that Skegness Grammar saved
with a desktop move to LTSP - they are a brave voice in the wilderness,
and haven't led to many others folowing :-(

 > "LinuxQuestions member initiated an e-petition to call for a Windows
 > to Linux migration on the government IT systems.
 > http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/32255

Well, it worked for Brazil, which has just overtaken the UK as a
leading economy :^)

  - Richard

[1] I always liked the Rover P5s ministers were whisked around in
     in the 1970s. Sadly, Blair closed Rover :-/