[Wolves] The cost of local backup

David Jackson davidjackson at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Apr 28 08:00:50 UTC 2019

Hi Mark

On 28/04/2019 01:48, Mark Ellse via Wolves wrote:
> I've just put my server on a power meter. It tells me that my little system
> which is running my backup is taking 43W as a steady draw.
>
> 43 W x 24 h/day x 356 day/year = 377 kWh/year
>
> My electricity costs 14  p/kWh
>
> Cost is 377 kWh x 14 p/kWh = 5274 p/year = £52.74 /year
>
> That's ignoring any hardware costs.
>
> It's an interesting figure. For £59.99 I can get Office 365 personal with
> 1TB storage, and the usual Microsoft products.
>
> It's some time since I did these calculations. It makes you realise how
> significant are the power costs for any of the local options.
>
> Mark

If power consumption was a major problem then you could make a good backup solution on a Raspberrypi.
A Pi even with a USB hard drive would consume less than £10 a year, depending on hard drives used.
You could go even further and run your pi from a solar panel and battery solution making it completely free to run.
After the initial cost of buying the kit to do it.

Dave