[Wolves] Richard M. Stallman resigns

Adam Sweet adamsweet at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 10:13:45 UTC 2019

On 17/09/2019 09:34, Peter Cannon via Wolves wrote:
> On 17/09/2019 09:09, Stephen Parkes wrote:
>> Nah, the fact he's a dinosaur who hates women has finally been noticed
>> by enough people.
>
> So I'm not saying I agree with Stallman but I do see this as another example of people not being allowed to speak their mind or allowed to have an opinion for that matter.

People often forget the right to free speech also means having the right
to tell people they're wrong and society has moved on from finding these
opinions acceptable.

Stallman has made quite a few vulgar remarks about women recently. Men
who make such remarks don't realise quite how creepy they sound or how
vulnerable they make women feel.

> I'm not convinced:
>
> "They were probably willing"
> "Age of consent depends on what state or country you are in."

> Are statements that require *ANY* individual to have to resign.

The second one is a factual statement, though in the context of using
the age of consent as a means to sleep with the youngest possible people
legally is pretty vulgar.

The first is not OK at all.

Ad