[Wolves] virtual meeting - no audio or video

Adam Sweet adamsweet at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 16:22:41 UTC 2021

Hi SF

I don't use Fedora but I have used Firefox on our Jitsi instance
successfully in the past. I just tried 89.0.2 as shipped with Ubuntu and
could see my own video though there was nobody else there.

I had trouble with Jitsi in Chrome previously as I used an extension
which prevented video from auto-playing. After suspecting some weird,
long-forgotten browser setting change or more unlikely a Chrome AV
permissions bug, which didn't affect anyone else, I eventually
discovered the issue with Jitsi in Chrome wasn't unique to Jitsi, it
prevented other browser based video conferencing platforms from working,
which is when I realised it was the browser extension.

Has Jitsi or any other video conferencing platform like Zoom, Google
Meet or Houseparty ever worked for you in Firefox?

Do you have any browser plugins that could affect the ability of
audio/video to play or any privacy/security plugins?

Could you try starting Firefox using a new user profile (or temporarily
create a new Fedora user for testing and remove it afterwards), so that
it gets started with the default settings and no plugins, then try
accessing Jitsi.

You could try starting Firefox from the command line and noting any
warnings or errors when you attempt to use Jitsi, but it seems likely
that if all Firefox users on Fedora 34 had the same issue there would
likely be a bug filed somewhere so I'd be inclined to believe it an
issue local to your machine.

I did notice you join the conference on Wednesday and said hello, but
mousing over your activity/network icon it said that your were inactive
and no packets were being sent to/from you which makes me believe it
could be plugin related if you're using any.

I can't think of much else that could help diagnose the cause. Chris
runs our Jitsi instance and he may be able to see something useful when
you attempt to join, but equally he may just see a user which isn't
sending/receiving any packets.

HTH.

Ad