[Wolves] Password talk

Adam Sweet adamsweet at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 12:44:15 UTC 2021

The short answer is very easy, depending on how that information is
stored on the machine. A 4 digit PIN is only 10,000 possible characters
which my graphics card could guess in less than a second but that's
probably not your biggest risk.

To crack the PIN I'd have to get hold of the file that stores it. If I
have that file you probably don't have that machine any more so your
biggest risk is having the laptop stolen and the thief taking the disk
out and putting it in another machine. At that point they'd have
everything on there without having to log in unless the disk is
encrypted. If the disk is encrypted it becomes a whole lot more difficult.

The talk was more about passwords stored on websites and servers than
local user accounts but it is an interesting point that you raise.

Ad