[Wolves] Off topic .. Best payment via debit card

Andy Smith andy at strugglers.net
Sat Apr 22 13:54:58 UTC 2023

Hello,

It's true that anyone with your bank details can set up a Direct
Debit, but:

- The Direct Debit Guarantee is one of the strongest consumer
  protections there is. The consumer can dispute a Direct Debit up
  to 6 years later and their bank has to reverse it no questions
  asked. The merchant who ultimately loses the transaction has to
  pursue it through court if they want to collect a debt they think
  they're owed.

- With something like GoCardless the merchant doesn't actually ever
  get the consumer's full bank details. Only GoCardless gets them.
  So it's safer than setting up a DD with a random company.

But despite the above and the fact that most people trust their
energy suppliers, phone providers etc with Direct Debits, some are
still scared of it and it is hard to change people's minds, so in a
business situation I do have to provide alternate payment methods as
well.

I do occasionally get fraudulent Direct Debits set up on my business
account, the details of which have been on tens of thousands of
invoices and been seen by thousands of people. It is irritating
having to dispute them but there isn't ever any fear that I'll be
out of pocket. These days with it popping up on my phone I end up
cancelling the mandate before any money has gone out, since that
takes 4 to 5 working days.

Since I have instant access to bank settings on a mobile phone then
really what should happen is that the account should refuse all new
Direct Debit setups unless you log in and allow them manually.
Similar to how domain names are locked against transfer and you have
to log in and unlock them.

Both GoCardless and Stripe have raised their fees since my email
below of 5 September.

Thanks,
Andy