[Wolves] OFT : anyone got a spare server rack mounted

Andy Smith andy at strugglers.net
Sat Jun 3 13:35:43 UTC 2023

Hi Mark,

On Sat, Jun 03, 2023 at 11:28:16AM +0100, Mark Croft Redditch Linux Mint via Wolves wrote:
> Can I install linux on this..
>
> https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125951341053?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=d4IVRfruQeC&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=wO7DrueFTsK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=FB_MSG
>
> HP DL360 Gen9 Xeon E5-2620 v4 2.1Ghz 32Gb RAM 2x 146Gb 3x 900Gb SERVER

Yes.

> N get it too format all the drives with d b a n one at time or two at time?

DBAN will do as many drives as you can connect, in parallel.

It's overkill, however, and therefore slow. Just boot any Linux live
environment and dd over the disks with zeroes. There is not a data
recovery firm in the world who will promise to get usable data back
after even one write pass.

Your biggest problem is likely to be drives that are too broken to
work in the machine. They'll be too broken for you to wipe them, but
you won't be confident that they are too broken for someone to fix
them and then get the data off. You might need to send them off for
physical destruction (or have them come to you).

If we're talking 5 HDDs then you can have a good time with a lump
hammer yourself. If we're talking 50+, maybe you want to pay £10
each to have someone throw them in an industrial shredder. 😀

Cheers,
Andy