[Wolves] Usable Windows SSH clients

Adam Sweet adamsweet at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 15:27:48 UTC 2023

On 24/10/2023 15:50, Simon Burke via Wolves wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So at day job, I am seeing putty is predominantly being used in best
> cases, and a remote Xterm via an openssh Tunnel and a local X server at
> its most contrived.
>
> I don't have anything in particular against Putty, but for managing any
> more than a couple connections, I just feel like its not the best tool
>
> Can you kind people kindly suggest a decent (yet simple) product that I
> could hopefully roll out to replace putty? If it support sftp too that
> would be of great benefit.
>
> I personally use WSL and Windows Terminal (my work laptop is nothing
> more than a jumpbox these days). I have used SecureCRT and liked it back
> in the day, but it's been a long.. time.  Some devs are using mobaxterm,
> which works for them, but its on a subscription model AFAIK.

I barely use Windows at all but when I do it's putty. I believe Windows
has a native command line OpenSSH client, ssh.exe, as standard on Win 10
and later and it understands OpenSSH client config. I've been meaning to
move to it for some time but never spend enough time on Windows to make
it worth the effort.

Of course there's OpenSSH in WSL too. Running WSL to get an SSH client
seems an unnecessary extra layer, but if you're running WSL anyway I
guess it doesn't matter. Apparently ssh.exe and ssh in WSL can't access
each other's config without some faffing around.

None of these provide any GUI config tools of course. The only ones I
know of that do are putty and WinCRT.

Never heard of mobaxterm, but since that's the second thing in your mail
that mentions xterm, do you need to display remote Linux or Unix apps on
your Windows machine? I don't know any better than what you've already
found but I understand Windows can display Linux graphical apps via WSL
which might give you some leverage to display remote apps locally.

Ad