[Wolves] Linux talks for day job.

Carles Pina i Estany carles at pina.cat
Thu Sep 21 18:57:40 UTC 2023

Hi,

On 21 Sep 2023 at 09:45:23, Simon Burke via Wolves wrote:

> Long time no post.

I don't post much (I'm a bit more active in the Shropshire group...)

> So I've been convinced to help run a series of talks at work relating
> to Linux in general.

I'm just going to write some ideas, but I don't know what's relevant in
your work :-) (but, that, you can work it out :-D)

> My topic of choice is 'Linux for Windows Administrators'.
>
> I have the basic outline, but I thought I'd post and ask for suggestions of
> what kind of things to include?
> (The majority of people attending are considered 'academics' which should
> be factored in).
>

> Initial ideas are along the lines of:
> * Disk layout (not going into great depth, but touching on 'everything is a
> file')
> * Updates and patching.
> * Powershell and bash. Plus some command equivalencies.
> * Dare I touch text editors, as a lifelong vim user?

Because you mentioned academics, only perhaps about free software
history and philosophy. And Linux history and philosophy as well.

And because of "for Windows Administrators":
-Docker (or Podman, lxc...)
-ansible (or alternatives)
-Perhaps Terraform and other systems like that one?
-Monitoring of systems (whatever might fit their use case: from big
things like monit, cactus? or something simpler like simplemonitor)
-Logging (where to find logs, how to get notifications, rotation of
logs...)
-If it was of interest: Mail servers (my "choice" is Postfix+Dovecot)
(add other tools used there like spamassasin, filtering, etc.); or Web
servers (Apache, nginx?), etc.; other type of servers...
-Steps of booting on linux

I'm sure that there are courses like this, perhaps some inspiration can
be taken!

Cheers,

--
Carles Pina i Estany