[Wolves] Linux talks for day job.

Carles Pina i Estany carles at pina.cat
Thu Sep 21 19:37:50 UTC 2023

Hi,

On 21 Sep 2023 at 20:29:14, Simon Burke via Wolves wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Sept 2023, 19:57 Carles Pina i Estany, <carles at pina.cat> wrote:

> > > So I've been convinced to help run a series of talks at work relating
> > > to Linux in general.

"series of talks"

> I would probably do follow-up talks about the usual services (Apache/nginx,
> myself/postgres, haproxy). But for now I'd be looking as a general intro
> for someone with zero Linux knowledge, only having experience of Windows.
>
> So permissions (briefly touching ACLs), disk layout, sssd, basic firewall
> (ufw/firewalld, nftables), service management (probably just systemd), and
> editing files. Along with man and info pages, and finding support etc.
>
> But I think this might be a lot to cover in about 20-30 mins.

oh, I think that almost each topic that you said needs 20-30 minutes (I
was thinking that this is for a full year, once a week, 50 talks of 30
minutes). Actually that some topics might need multiple talks :-D

> I imagine we could probably fill half hour on just a brief history and
> philosophy of Linux. But I'm not sure how many people would be interested
> in all honesty.

Don't know, if there are a very few talks then I wouldn't probably
explain; if there are many then it might be one of them :-)
When you said "academics" I thought that they might be more inclined
than other people for this, that's why! :-) (but you know your audicence
better)

--
Carles Pina i Estany
https://carles.pina.cat || Wiktionary translations: https://kamus.pina.cat