[Wylug-admin] re. WYLUG.... Dave Fisher Re-appears

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Mon Apr 21 12:45:53 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 01:11:33PM +0100, Jim Jackson wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Apr 2008, Dave Fisher wrote:
>
> >I think that the time has come for someone to else to take on the
> >responsiblity that I've been trying to pass on for nearly three years
> >now.
>
> That would make it predate my retirement :-)
>
> I had thought this might be the case. I'll also add that I'm giving up
> responsibility for co-ordinating with the Uni over the venue and opening up
> etc.
>
> So WYLUG is in urgent need of being taken over - anyone, singlular or
> plural, fancy running the show? If nothing happens on here in a few days,
> I'll raise the matter on wylug-discuss.

[Edit: this turned into a bit of brainstorm, sorry ]

Hmm... I think trying to capture a list of the "job" requirements would
be useful if both Jim and Dave are needing to step down.

Things have quietened down a bit for me (developments at work meaning
less out of hours stuff), but then again I have a new baby due at the
end of September.

I'm happy to take over:

* Web stuff
* Announcements
* Contributions to finding speakers where I can
* Watching the lists for people doing cool stuff, then bothering them
  for a talk ;-)

Stuff I can probably do some months:

* Opening up
* Introducing at meetings etc

(This is mostly due to the incredible amount of running around I need to
do between leaving work and getting to the meeting.)

It's probably better to make better efforts to co-ordinate more
volunteers rather than seeking a superhero individual who can do the
lot.

I'm in favour of having some more defined roles for the different
duties. A wiki may help with this, although I'm not set on using any
specific technological aid for this.

Ideally, we should split the jobs between a handful of people, with n+1
redundancy to avoid any particular aspect being solely dependant on one
individual.

Would any tools such as IRC planning chats, or even brief phone
conferences help to keep momentum going between meetings?

I may be able to procure some informal/discreet sponsorship (by way of a
badge on the website etc) for speakers' travel expenses if we need to
look further afield for talks, although it's not something I'm terribly
keen on, at least not on an ongoing basis. Perhaps for the occasional
"good" speaker from far away.

James