[Wylug-announce] Stallman Lecture

Richard wylug-discuss at wylug.org.uk
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 15:24:20 +0100

                  Sheffield Linux Users Group  (ShefLUG)

  =20
                    6.15 pm  Tuesday 24th October 2000

     =20
                                ShefLUG Venue:  Auditorium
                                Students Union Building
                                University of Sheffield
                                Westen Bank
                                Sheffield UK

               for location of Sheffield University & Campus Map see
                                  http://www.streetmap.co.uk
               You need to dial in the postcode which is S10 2TG You can
               also send mail to me to request a map and for information =
about=20
               trams and buses phone 01709 515151.

               Other than that you can phone me personally at 07973 68218=
1.
               Tickets will be available from the Students Union office b=
efore
               the event.  You can phone 0114 222 8777 to get hold of tho=
se or
               you can go to the box office at the University of Sheffiel=
d, Union of
               Students, Box Office, Western Bank, Sheffield S10 2TG.  Ti=
ckets=20
               should be available by the the 18th of October.  You can a=
lso buy=20
               them on the door at a cost of =A33 each.

               The topic of the meeting will be a talk by Richard Stallma=
n his=20
               talk will be about the history of GNU/Linux and the Free S=
oftware Movement.=20
               After the talk there will be a question and answer session=
 at which=20
               time you are invited to join in.

         Mr Stallman is famous for founding the Free Software Foundation =
in 1984.  Recently
         IBM handed over their copyrights of the S/390 Linux platform to =
the Free Software
         Foundation.  The GNU project is also well known for the many oth=
er things that are=20
         in progress and the GNOME project is a good example.

        We do hope that you are able to attend the lecture.  We need to c=
over the costs of=20
        hiring a large 400 seater lecture theatre and other costs which m=
ay not be evident.
        Those of you who do work in Universities may wish to copy this ov=
er to any internal
        lists that you have. =20

       For related information have a look at.......

       http://www.fsf.org
       http://www.gnu.org
       http://www.stallman.org
       http://www.sheflug.co.uk/meeting.html