[Wylug-discuss] Linux 'eyetoy' style projects?

Jim Jackson jj at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Thu Feb 26 12:02:25 GMT 2004

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Duncan Entwisle wrote:

> I've looked at webcams under both Windows & Linux, and they all seem to
> have a noticeable lag between the real-world and what's displayed on
> the screen.  Is that because of the applcation software, the operating
> system, or is it inherent in USB webcams (and EyeToy is special)?

There will always be some delay, but how much depends on a number of
factors. Web CAM takes time to capture one frame, then the frame (or part
of) has to be transfered to the computer and moved arounnd internally
through the OS and the application. Hence delays - if the image is
tranferred over a network more delays pile up. To get low delay video and
sound, cheap hardware, and generic software applications are not going to
be the answer I'm afraid.