[Wylug-discuss] Cups -aarrrggggg!!!!!!!

Roger Leigh roger at whinlatter.uklinux.net
Mon Jan 19 21:53:18 GMT 2004

"ALLEN, David" <David.ALLEN at eur.crowncork.com> writes:

> Thanks for your comments. You are obviously also a member of the cups
> mailing list as well!

No, I've never been subscribed!  However, I do know a little about it.

> As far a I can see, the line '-sDeviceModel=hp color LaserJet' is from the
> ppd file for the printer.

I think that's completely bogus (but I may be wrong).

> Does cups/hpijs query the printer before sending the job, which is why I am
> getting the "**** Unable to open the initial device" message?

That's a ghostscript error.  It's nowhere near the printer at this
stage.  It means it can't find the device (-sDEVICE) i.e. the gs
device driver you specified.  In this case, it's the hpijs IJS server
bailing out, since the model above is surely incorrect.

> If this is the case, have you have any idea how can I find the "name" of the
> printer. I would have thought who ever created the original ppd would have
> got it correct?

I'd suggest reading the hpijs docs.  For gimpprint, we provide a
gimpprint-models(7) manual page.  hpijs should document the models it
supports somewhere, too.

Regards,
Roger

PS.  Please could you not top-post when you reply, but instead reply
after the quoted text, as in this mail.  This makes it possible to
follow the conversation, since the replies are in the context of the
original text.

--
Roger Leigh