[Wylug-discuss] RE: CUPS -aarrrgggg + hp-ijs

Dave Fisher davef at gbdirect.co.uk
Fri Jan 23 14:11:04 GMT 2004

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 07:49:28PM +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:
> Please do take the time to file a bug against hpijs, either with hpijs
> or your distribution's hpijs package.  This will get the problem
> fixed.

Hi Roger,

Since you seem to be our resident CUPS/printing expert and my problem is
probably CUPS/hpijs-related I thought I'd tag on to this thread.

Despite occasional glitches (mainly due to python/foomatic debian
package problems) I've had CUPS working OKish for about 6 months on an
HP  PSC 2110 (Scanner + Printer) using HP-PSC_2110-hpijs.ppd  ... thanks
in no small part to your earlier advice.

Unfortunately through a mixture of frustration and lazinesss, I've never
got round to fixing my one outstanding problem: the bottom/left
(portrait/landscape) margin gets cut off when I try to print close to
the edges of a4 paper, e.g. test pages or 2-up pages produced by a2ps.

linuxprinting.org has one of those oh-so-helpful FAQs which identifies
this problem, but provides no answer or explanation of any kind:

  http://www.linuxprinting.org/hp-faq.html#q_40_4

I am guessing that the printer is trying to print outside of the
printable area on this one side (the trailing edge as the sheet is fed
in).  Is this a likely explanation?

I presume that there must be some way of getting CUPS to tell the
printer to set the boundary for the printable area about 1 cm higher up
than it seems to think it is.  If so, can you point me to some useful
documentation?

Given the ubiquity of the HP PSC 2110 I'm hoping that someone else might
have encountered and overcome this problem.

An pointers would be appreciated.

Best wishes,

Dave