[Wylug-discuss] DIAL DNSBL

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Mon Jul 26 11:38:25 BST 2004

Morning All,

Aparrently my colo box's netblock is in the DIAL DNSBL. This means that
some (broken IMHO) sites refuse mail.

See:

http://www.invlogic.com/mail/dial.html

I publish SPF records for my domains, which is exactly what the FAQ at
the above site suggests, but no cigar. Has anybody else had problems
with this blacklist? They seem unresponsive.

The count the following systems as 'untrustworthy':

# Names containing 'dsl', 'ppp', 'dial', 'modem', 'slip' or any other
term which indicates that they are part of a collection of devices to
which the general population connects.

Fair enough.

# Student dormitories, residences, labs, etc

Fair enough.

# Names using some or all of the IP they represent in their name, eg
123-123-123-123.myisp.net

OK.

# Names that say "unassigned", "no-dns-yet", "unallocated" or otherwise
indicate they are not supposed to be used.

OK, fair enough, but that might exclude accidentally misconfigured hosts.

# Server farms, colocations, other collections of systems.

Eh?????? Just the exact kind of systems which would probably be
legitimately used for sending mail. WTF are they smoking?

# Others from time to time that are determined to fall into this general
category.

OK I give up. Why don't they just yank the plug on their connection to
the real world?

James

- --
James Andrew Holden, Leeds, UK    (james at jamesholden dot net)
GPG Key: 1024D/8358863A    *Please encrypt mail where possible!*
Fingerprint:  32C9 A76F 3CFE A06C 1B00  5AAB 9877 4742 8358 863A
jamesholden.net ICQ: 11290827 >Buy Linux CDs from fastdiscs.com<