[Wylug-discuss] Work Experience

Aaron Crane wylug at aaroncrane.co.uk
Fri Nov 5 10:10:11 GMT 2004

Dave Fisher writes:
> I'm pretty sure that an active IRC would reduce participation in our
> mailing lists, seriously undermine the length and thoughtfulness of
> contributions to debate, (which would be especially detrimental to
> wylug-help and the web archives) and cause many of us to drop out of
> debate altogether.

I'm not sure that's the case.  What I've seen of other groups that use
both IRC and mailing lists (which isn't much, admittedly) suggests that
(a) plenty of people avoid IRC and stick to the mailing lists, without
either feeling that they're missing something or being marginalised by
those that do use IRC; and (b) IRC tends to get used as a purely social
thing, rather than as a forum for discussion.  I think that even if we
did have an IRC channel, we'd still retain the lengthy and thoughtful
debates for which the WYLUG lists are famed.

That said, I'm in the "no time to hang out on IRC" camp, so I'm not
likely to use a WYLUG IRC channel anyway.  In fact, why am I writing
this instead of getting on with work?  Got to go.

--
Aaron Crane