[Wylug-discuss] Work Experience

Jim Jackson jj at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Fri Nov 5 12:32:30 GMT 2004

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, Aaron Crane wrote:

> ......  What I've seen of other groups that use
> both IRC and mailing lists (which isn't much, admittedly) suggests that
> (a) plenty of people avoid IRC and stick to the mailing lists, without
> either feeling that they're missing something or being marginalised by
> those that do use IRC; and (b) IRC tends to get used as a purely social
> thing, rather than as a forum for discussion.  I think that even if we
> did have an IRC channel, we'd still retain the lengthy and thoughtful
> debates for which the WYLUG lists are famed.

I think I'm with Aaron here.

There are cultural differences - different folks different strokes etc
and some people just like hanging out there on IRC - others don't.

While many of us don't have that sort of time, I'd like to hope that if
there were WYLUGers who wanted IRC and were prepared to organise a channel
somewhere, we'd not object to it's setup. We might indicate we'd not have
time to participate, but I don't think we shouldn't stop others from
setting up alternative forms of communication.

So if people want to set this stuff up then I suggest they propose it and
try it out.

If it's going to carry the WYLUG brand (:-) then reasonable assurances
about upholding the good name of WYLUG (yes we have one!) etc etc would be
good.

In diversity
Jim