[Wylug-discuss] Q2: PDC style setup

Jason Lander jason at env.leeds.ac.uk
Tue May 17 13:06:59 BST 2005

Gary,

We run a Windows domain entirely from Linux servers acting as PDC, file
servers and print servers. I'm sure I owe the Samba team a pizza for this.

> 1) to be able to automatically (and reliably) at user logon ,mount a
> mapped network drive from the WinXP box to the Linux box.

Windows has the concept of a home drive which can be mounted from
elsewhere. It is specified as part of the user account.

The mapping could also be done by the `logon script', a windows batch file
that runs when a user logs in. Again this is part of the account details.

> 2) to redirect 'My Documents' and 'Desktop' to the mapped network drive
>
> 3) keep temporary files and temporary internet files on the local disk

`My Documents' can be moved by registry tweaking from the logon script. I
can send you details. Not sure about the Desktop.

Kixtart (www.kixtart.org) provides a usable scripting language for Windows
logon scripts.

> 4) anything else you can think of, such as any PDC style functionality I
> can benefit from out of the Linux boxes.

Samba 3 makes a perfectly functional `old style' i.e. pre active directory
PDC. XP is happy to be a member of a samba hosted domain.

- Jason