[Wylug-discuss] Linux-friendly POTS-to-VOIP-to-POTS

Dave Fisher wylug-discuss at davefisher.co.uk
Wed Oct 12 11:57:20 BST 2005

Hi All,

My landline phone is dying (handset battery recharges rarely last for
more than a few minutes) and I need to replace it fairly soon.

I've been toying with the idea of replacing it with VOIP, but retaining
the BT line for ADSL (and hence all things IP). Although I'd consider
junking BT for a (local loop unbundled) DSL-only service if anyone knows
of an affordable option in the Leeds area (N.B. I need at least one
static IP address, but would prefer several).

I'd still like to make and recieve calls to/from conventional land-line
and mobile phones. So I'm wondering if anyone is aware of a
Linux-friendly POTS-to-VOIP-to-POTS service which has much chance of
staying in business for a few years?

I've read up on asterisk, but suspect that the effort involved in
running my own POTS-to-VOIP-to-POTS PBX would not be good value for
money/time  ... unless someone with hands-on experience knows better?

Dave