[Wylug-discuss] Linux-friendly POTS-to-VOIP-to-POTS

Mike Goodman mike at jazzitis.uklinux.net
Wed Oct 12 13:22:09 BST 2005

Hi, Dave,

I'm currently involved in setting up just such a service, via Pipecall
Media. They were the originators in this country and have a well-funded
plc behind them. I can give you full details.

Whatever happens, you will have to buy a handset or headset to use VoIP
and if your PSTN-compatible (BT et al) one is dying you can get one
which will do both jobs which has the advantage of switching
automatically if, for any reason, your ADSL connection is down.

You will need some method of permanent internet connection - you'll be
paying twice if you use dial-up for VoIP so thwart the point of the
exercise. And you'll need to keep your landline to get the connection,
whichever method you choose - unless you can afford to put at least a
couple of zeros on the end of the set up and rental costs ;-)

Our monthly rental and, I believe, call charges are slightly lower than
VoipTalk (which I've had a good look at, and very little if anything to
choose between the two otherwise). Both services are SIP, which is the
international standard so you can call PSTN numbers using the service
and have no trouble calling overseas numbers at their local rates.

Give me a call on 0845 890 0454 (which is VoIP) and I'll give you more
details. If others think it worthwhile, I'll be happy to post more
details either here or put them on a site and give you the URL. I'm
having to type them  all out anyway, but was simply taking longer about
it. I'll be uploading the full monte onto a web site within the next
couple of weeks. If anyone is desperate, I can supply now.

Best,

Mike Goodman