[Wylug-discuss] follow-ups to conversations last night

Paul Scorer p.scorer at leedsmet.ac.uk
Tue Apr 4 21:21:05 BST 2006

Greetings,

So I have a Belkin Wireless G PCI card Part No F5D7000uk Version 3000uk
It has the RT2500 chipset (as evidenced from, say, lspci -vv)

I have shipped the drivers from http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/ and they
compile and install OK under FC5.

>From this you get an rt2x00 directory in /lib/modules/<kernel_version>
which includes an ieee80211 subdirectory.

There is another set of (Fedora supplied) ieee80211 modules in
kernel/drivers/net/wireless

If you try and load the rt2500pci module there are undefined symbols: it
is loading the Fedora modules. Moving the Fedora ieee80211 modules out
of the way (and doing a depmod -a) allows all rt2500 and associated
ieee80211 modules to load OK.

Configuring all the parameters via "neat" (or otherwise) for a dhcp /WEP
environment and doing say "ifup eth1" results in an IP address for the
card and that is all. Since this has come from the dhcp server, the
device is communicating.  Taking the wired interface down and attempting
a ping hangs (but does not crash anything).

iwconfig indicates 11Mb/s and shows the encryption key. Link quality is
zero. I ran kwifimanager without the rt2x00 supplied ieee80211 modules
and it indicated 54 Mb/s.

"iwlist scan" shows the access point(s) (with the rt2x00 ieee80211
modules)

ifconfig shows the ipaddr and everything else seems normal

ethereal indicates repeated arp requests which receive no reply.

Consequently *no useful communication*.

Anyone any thoughts?

PaulS