[Wylug-discuss] instant boot on power on........

Jim Jackson jj at franjam.org.uk
Sat Apr 8 20:07:06 BST 2006

Many months ago I posted thus.....

On Fri, 9 Dec 2005, Jim Jackson wrote:

> Many mobo's need the front panel "power" button to be pressed before they
> boot. I've a situation where I need a computer to boot when I apply mains
> power, without pressing the "power" button. I don't see any BIOS options
> controlling this behaviour.
>
> Anyone any ideas or pointers. Googling has drawn a blank - though that
> maybe a lack of immagination as to useful search terms.
>
> cheers
> Jim

While I had many interesting responses, noone had a solution. The mobo has
no bios option to control the power on behavious.

Interestingly, I'm going thru' some old electronics magazines preparatory
to slinging them and came across a quick tip for exactly this situation.

The tip is to wire a capacitor & resistor in parallel across the power
switch. They recommend initial values of 470uf and 2.2K as suitable values
to start with.

When mains power is applied, the inrush current to the capacitor simulates
a switch depression, and the mobo. powers up. The resistor is there to
make sure the cap discharges after removing mains power.

So I'll be trying this sometime this coming week.

cheers
Jim