[Wylug-discuss] KDE

david powell dave at whipy.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 16 18:00:21 GMT 2006

On Monday 16 January 2006 12:14 pm, John Hodrien wrote:
> Smylers wrote:
> > John Hodrien writes:
> >> I agree, very Inferno.  This is the sort of thing that could be all
> >> wired in through Fuse though so that it ends up being at a lower
> >> level.
> >
> > Inferno?  Fuse?  Please elaborate ...
>
> I seemingly ignored this.  Inferno:
> http://www.vitanuova.com/inferno/index.html. Everything's a file, well sort
> of, and you don't really present a filesystem to a program, you provide a
> program namespace (which can be different on a per-process basis).
>
> FUSE:
>
> http://fuse.sourceforge.net/
>
> Userspace filesystem fun.  Looks nothing short of thoroughly entertaining.
>
> >> What does KDE use for audio these days?
> >
> > Do you mean Amarok (already mentioned a few times here), or something
> > more low level?
>
> I meant more low level.  I presume it's arts (with whatever Kapitalisation
> they want).

arTs  is the low level driver used
but theres ALSA support there also

so the kde sound can use arTs though ALSA

things are to change with kde4 as arTs support is being dropped as
arTs is currently unmaintained , the developer stopped about 8 months ago and
no one has taken his place

with kde4 there building a software frame work that will allow differnet back
end drivers to be used  , arTs, gstreamer etc  and the application should not
have to worry about what one is beeing used , although the actual one has not
been decided upon , it looks like there will be ALSA with them also
ALSA with dmix seems to solve a lot of the device in use problems that many
linux users seem to find , the down side of ALSA is its documentation
if the ALSA dev's would document it then it would be a lot easyer to use

have to admit arTs is not ideal , but hopes the new method that kde is
developing for kde4 will solve the current sound issues

Dave