[Wylug-discuss] a webdesign query / mini rant

Dave Fisher wylug-discuss at davefisher.co.uk
Fri Jan 13 17:07:36 GMT 2006

On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 01:07:35PM +0000, Dave Fisher wrote:

... UTTER RUBBISH:

> The Tan Hack is a bit of an exception, cos it uses a CSS selector which
> depends on the presence of a mysterious (non-standard and undocumented)
> HTML element which IE wraps around the page's root element (<html>).
> This seems to be an intrinsic part of the IE/Windows interface and less
> likely to be 'fixed' than most 'bugs'.

I obviously failed to read my own reference:

>   http://www.positioniseverything.net/articles/ie7-dehacker.html

... and to keep up with the IE7 blog that I was following religiously
until not long before Xmas.

It appears that the mysterious wrapper element will now be removed,
and many previously unsupported CSS selectors will be supported, in IE7.

This leaves conditional comments (CCs) as the most reliable method of
treating IE7 differently.

 ... making my previous observation on CCs look pretty stupid.

Please accept my apologies for that.

I think he rest of my comments about the problems of making stretchy CSS
layouts work remain valid.

Dave