[Wylug-discuss] ADSL migration

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Thu May 11 17:20:14 BST 2006

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 03:44:30PM +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 11 May 2006 15:19, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 15:09 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > Does anyone know anything, good or bad, about either of these service
> > > providers?  Send off-list if you would prefer.  Thanks
> >
> > Why was Zen no use?
> >
> > I've actually been pretty impressed by them - I get static IP and they
> > will set reverse DNS for you (not relevant to most people, but very
> > useful for me as I run an accessible mail server on my line).  They
> > generally seem fairly clued up and reliable.
> > Not the cheapest although my price has dropped recently as I moved to
> > the Zen 8000 Active (20GB capped).
> >
> We definitely want uncapped - and expect to pay more for it.  Our usage is
> very variable, and unpredictable, so we'd rather pay a fixed higher sum than
> get occasional unpleasant surprises.

That puts you in a minority! Most people want uncapped, and stubbornly
refuse to pay more for it!

I'm not sure why you want to pay a fixed sum, because some months you're
going to be paying for bandwidth you're not using. What about when
you're on holiday, or just having a quiet month? You could benefit from
those quieter times.

PlusNet's PAYG accounts might suit you. You pay 14.99 as a base charge which
includes 1GB of usage, then 1 pound per GB of usage thereafter.  You can
avoid the unpleasant surprises by using the transfer watch tool to set
your own usage limit, which you can revise if you reach it.

I'm not trying to shill for PN here, but the days of uncapped usage are
numbered and just paying a fixed monthly fee isn't the only way to pay
for your broadband - there are more flexible ways, and you say your
usage is unpredictable, so why put up with a high cost every month?

Do you know if you can get >2MB where you are? ICUKNET don't seem to
offer the MaxDSL products yet.

Regards,

James

PS: PN's PAYG usage isn't metered between midnight and 8am, so if you
shedule your ISO downloads for then you won't pay for them!