[Wylug-discuss] ADSL migration

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Fri May 12 04:07:44 BST 2006

On Fri, 12 May 2006, david powell wrote:

> but dinamic ip , so when the server crashes and restarts you get a new ip
> well if your downloading someting then you need to restart it not good if
> its a 4.3Gb DVD iso for debian  or something like that

Don't have your server crash ;)

dynamic IP isn't that big a deal, since if you keep the connection up it's
static, and with most even a reboot keeps the same IP as long as you stay
within your DHCP lease.

dyndns can solve remote access problems.

> no email addresses suplied but £5.99 each extra a month if you need one
> not all of us have a domain also

But you can get email addresses cheaper elsewhere and a domain costs pennies.

> office hours only tec support , so the office closes at 8pm , there sever
> crashes at 8:10pm , and you cannot report it till 8am the next day
> so your whole evenings surfing is out

That also makes the assumption that tech support cares about reports.  Virgin
just said 'could be BT, it'll probably come back'.

> added with the fact that there service was so unreliable that over 1 week
> i had a network fail every 24 hrs ( normaly less than 10 mins each but ended
> up with another ip each time ) and 1 or more outages that lasted over 30 mins
> a week

That sounds unfortunate.

> supprt  matters when you have bad service , and getting the  restart your
> computer (not the router ) as there first message , after waiting on the
> phone to get though to them that you know its there end your router is saying
> the dns server is down
> you would think a isp would know what that meaasge would tell them

The problem I've had is that when you can't reach the DHCP server (which I was
assuming was what you meant, sorry if I am wrong) then you're often fobbed off
as you've not hit their system yet.  That was why they blamed BT, as all
looked good at their end.

> anyway i left them 8 months into the 12month contract , dew to the fact that
> i gave them enough greef about the aceptablilaty of there service , thay did
> not dispute the rest of it

Fair enough.

> but i moved back to demon  and although its £24.99 a month for the package i
> get from them
> unlimited email addresses (with its own domain)
> 20mb web space (personal web page and space to put files you want to be
> avalable  for others )
> unlimited bandwith useage  can use the 2mb/s flat out all month no problems if
> i wanted
> the big advantage is  down time   like 2 10 min outages in last 3 months !!

That's good service.  Although I think you have to realis that their is a
spectrum of experience for eachISP.  I've actually heard from some unhappy
demon customers, but then I think I have from every ISP pretty much.

> theres nothing worse than having to ring them because its not working and
> you know its not your end
> but when you do  talking to someone that knows what there on about is
> very important to getting it solved

I find it hard to deal with people that are convinced it's you as I try not to
sort of patronize them by pointing out I know more than enough.

> for the £24.99 service i get from demon well with only 1 email address from
> bulldog , fixed ip option at £5.99 and webspace £5.99 also that would cost
> more than £30 from buldog so i get a adsl that works for less

Only if you buy all from bulldog.  It's way cheaper to get POP accounts, and I
guess it depends how much you value static IP.

> sorry for the rant , but may be worth comparing the features like bandwith
> fixed ip , and other features and is saving £ 2 to 5 a month  realy worth it
> if the service is bad , and you spend more time phoning them up about it
> rather than using it

jh

--
"If I am given the privilege of becoming the first democratically elected Lord
  Mayor I'll never write another book"                -- Jeffrey Archer