[Wylug-discuss] ADSL migration

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Fri May 12 09:57:24 BST 2006

John writes:

> On Fri, 12 May 2006, david powell wrote:
>
> > but dinamic ip , so when the server crashes and restarts you get a
> > new ip well if your downloading someting then you need to restart it
>
> Don't have your server crash ;)

If the device connected to your ADSL line is a router then it doesn't
really matter how much your individual computers crash or are rebooted,
since it will stay connected anyway.

> dynamic IP isn't that big a deal, since if you keep the connection up
> it's static, and with most even a reboot keeps the same IP as long as
> you stay within your DHCP lease.
>
> dyndns can solve remote access problems.

A static IP address is useful if, say, your work only permits SSH
connections to their servers from known IP addresses.  (DynDNS might
help there, depending on the exact set-up and your system
administrator.)

> > no email addresses suplied but £5.99 each extra a month if you need
> > one not all of us have a domain also
>
> But you can get email addresses cheaper elsewhere and a domain costs
> pennies.

Also if you use an e-mail address supplied by your ISP then you're
kind-of tied to them.  You at least have the hassle of trying to
remember to tell all your friends and contacts if you move.

> > office hours only tec support , so the office closes at 8pm , there
> > sever crashes at 8:10pm , and you cannot report it till 8am the next
> > day so your whole evenings surfing is out
>
> That also makes the assumption that tech support cares about reports.
> Virgin just said 'could be BT, it'll probably come back'.

For what it's worth when I worked in an office which had a Demon leased
line that would occasionally fail Demon would always start by assuming
the problem was at our end, asking us to reboot our computer -- which,
since this was a Linux server with hundreds of days of uptime running
several useful services in the office, we weren't keen to do.

The underlying problem usually was BT's fault, but merely trying to get
Demon to accept it enough to escalate the issue to BT was more hassle
than it should've been.

> > anyway i left them 8 months into the 12month contract , dew to the
> > fact that i gave them enough greef about the aceptablilaty of there
> > service , thay did not dispute the rest of it

(oar praps there people found it tuck sew long to desifor yore spelling
n grammer that thay thawte it easyer just to cave inn?)

> That's good service.  Although I think you have to realis that their
> is a spectrum of experience for eachISP.  I've actually heard from
> some unhappy demon customers, but then I think I have from every ISP
> pretty much.

I'd second that.  I reckon that for every ISP (and telco, gas supplier,
candlestick maker, ...) in the country there's somebody who has been
tret so badly that they'd never go near them again.  Discovering that a
particular ISP happens to have one such person on a mailing list you
read is probably not significant.

Smylers