[Wylug-discuss] XFCE on Debian base

Ben Pollinger benpollinger at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 13:30:52 GMT 2006

Hello all,

I'm quite a newbie with linux so please bear with me. I have tried
Ubuntu as a dual boot (with XP) on my newer laptop so I'm learning,
albeit slowly.

I have an old laptop (Compaq 133mhz pentium 1, 2gb disk, 80mb ram)
that I have been messing with. Looking around, a few folk had
suggested a base install of Debian would run OK on this spec. I got
the latest stable net install image and it installed very smoothly,
including the PCMCIA wired LAN card. Takes 1-2 mins to boot but it
gets there.

The net install has no GUI but I was wondering if i could get XFCE to
run on this as I understand it's lighter than Gnome or KDE. Can anyone
point me at an install guide (for newbies, remember!), or is my laptop
too decrepit even for XFCE?

Thanks,
Ben

--