[Wylug-discuss] BBC On-Demand Consultation

Will Newton will at misconception.org.uk
Thu Feb 1 08:44:03 GMT 2007

On Thursday 01 February 2007 08:00, James Holden wrote:

> > I must say I really had to struggle with my incandescent reaction the
> > the mere fact that someone at the BBC was even considering the notion of
> > Microsoft-only access.
>
> Indeed - the way the issue was given an entirely separate question, and
> the phrasing of it, makes me think they were checking if we're paying
> attention.

The main proposal document states that Windows Media Player 10 is the only
solution that provides the necessary DRM to allow the other features
discussed (e.g. expiry of shows after 13 days etc.) to be implemented. I
don't know of any open media format that can provide the DRM they want. If
the plan goes forward it will use Windows Media Player 10.

Obviously DRM of this type does not (and cannot) work, but that's a separate
argument.