[Wylug-discuss] FLOSS Cross-platform Web-oriented Text Editor For Newbies

David Holden dh at iucr.org
Tue May 29 15:59:54 BST 2007

On Tuesday 29 May 2007, Dave Fisher wrote:
> On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 02:53:27PM +0100, David Holden wrote:
> > You could also consider http://tidy.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > which gives you pretty fine control and I would also think is a good
> > learn tool for beginners.
>
> Bad experiences with HTML Tidy's validating accuracy in the past (a long
> time ago) have always caused me to look on it with suspicion.
>
> Based on the few test cases I've just run, things seem to have improved,
> dramatically ... although the bug list:
>
>   http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=390963&group_id=27659&func=browse
>
> suggests that there are still significant problems, notably with
> character/entity references.
>
> That said, the formatting control is impressive, and I take your point
> about the learning experience for beginners.
>
> Dave

A further option would be http://xmlstar.sourceforge.net/ which allows you to
do lots of magical stuff with XML.

Some combination xmllint/tidy/xmlstar with some glue script should be pretty
flexible.

  Cheers,

         Dave.

--
Dr. David Holden.

See: <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>
regarding Word or PowerPoint. GPG key available on request.