[Wylug-discuss] List Etiquette: Top Posting vs. Bottom Posting

Mark P. Conmy mpc at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Sun Oct 28 19:04:44 GMT 2007

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007, Lee Evans wrote:

>> Mea culpa - must brush up on my RFCs.
>
> Or check the facts before putting them forwards; it seemed pretty obvious
> that Roger was talking from experience suggesting that it *is* possible to
> download only part of the message, so to dispute that without checking the
> facts seems almost a little rude.

Like your response here? ;-)

Checking the fact to what extent?  Do I have to check every RFC before
I respond to any post?  I have had a lot of experience with this stuff,
but haven't played (directly) with IMAP or POP for a long time now, and
never used it in the way you describe (nor did the clients I played
with).

I have already given my "mea culpa" - what more would you like?

Here:

     I apologise.  I am not infalliable.  I make mistakes from time to
     time.  My mistake here clearly invalidates everything I have ever
     said or done in my entire career.  My sword awaits.  Goodbye cruel
     world!

Will that do?

>> Nor is it kind on the disk space of multiple recipients.  If trimmed,
>> the limit isn't that helpful in any case.
>
> Agreed - although I think the disk space aspect of this (and similarly HTML
> vs plain text) argument is a rather more moot point than it was a few years
> ago, given the size/availability/price of disks now.

Fine - I'll attach a 1GB attachment to every post from now on.
;-)

>> I know you didn't put attributions to any of them, but mixing up
>> replies to multiple posts without making it explicit is a recipe
>> for confusion.
>
> Yup, my bad, sorry. I didn't bother as I thought I didn't think it was
> necessary in this instance.

It's amazing how often this sort of thing ends up with someone getting
confused and mixing up authors when posts are combined.

Mark