[Wylug-discuss] eeepc show and tell tonight anyone?

Colin May colin at myfi.org
Wed Jan 16 07:09:56 GMT 2008

On 14 Jan 2008, at 14:19, Gary Stainburn wrote:

> As I said above, I plan on using one on the NatEx Leeds<-> Kings X
> service
> over WIFI, using ssh with X forwarding to access my systems at
> work.  I'll be
> doing very little work on the box itself.

Time to delurk a little .. !

My general experience of GNER wifi is when I used to pay for it and
expense it on my trips to the great smoke for work related fun and
games - at the time it was mostly aimed at people who are using
corporate stuff like Web Outlook or Outlook itself.

Using SSH on the train is a painful exercise because of the RTT
between you, the trains server, the uplink, the trip out to sweden
(which is where your connection is actually broken out onto the
internet), to your server and back again.  Adding the additional
bandwidth requirement of X on top of this even via a potentially
compressed ssh tunnel will make it painfully unuseable.

I doubt NatEx have upgraded the service since taking over from GNER
and all they've done is switched the billing model about a bit to
make it free for everyone.  This of course means that more people
will be using the on-train bandwidth so as usage goes up, bandwidth
goes down and the pain of using it goes up further!

I generally stick with a USB 3G Vodafone dongle now for connectivity
on my Mac - although I am led to believe these work happily under the
EeeeeeeeeeeeePC via PPP/USB etc.

Colin.