[Wylug-discuss] eeepc show and tell tonight anyone?

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Wed Jan 16 07:36:24 GMT 2008

Colin May writes:

> On 14 Jan 2008, at 14:19, Gary Stainburn wrote:
>
> > As I said above, I plan on using one on the NatEx Leeds<-> Kings X
> > service over WIFI, using ssh with X forwarding to access my systems
> > at work.  I'll be doing very little work on the box itself.
>
> Time to delurk a little .. !

Hi Colin.  Surely you've been here before?

> My general experience of GNER wifi ...  Using SSH on the train is a
> painful exercise ...

I agree.  I have used it successfully when required, but the lag is
irritating.

> Adding the additional bandwidth requirement of X on top of this even
> via a potentially compressed ssh tunnel will make it painfully
> unuseable.

I haven't tried X, but I wouldn't expect much joy from it.

> I doubt NatEx have upgraded the service since taking over from GNER

I've made 7 ECML journeys since National Express took over, and I
believe I'm finding the service better than with GNER.  Obviously
there's still some variance in it, and spots where it drops out, so it
could just be I've been luckier recently (or that because I'm no longer
paying I perceive that I'm happier than before), but it seems tangiable.

> This of course means that more people will be using the on-train
> bandwidth so as usage goes up, bandwidth goes down and the pain of
> using it goes up further!

In practice that doesn't seem to be the case; I'm currently more
inclined to believe that they have upgraded something.

Smylers