[Wylug-discuss] Linux Distribution

James Hitchcock james at jhitchcock.com
Tue Nov 25 20:19:21 UTC 2008

Hey, I know this may open a big debate/can of worms, however Just after some
advice about linux distro's. Im a vista user at the moment, but wish to make
the switch to linux nearly full time. I want to run it in a VM for a few
months, and If im happy with it, move to it fully (Perhaps with windows in a
VM + Wine for emergencies!) Im just not sure what distro to go with.

A bit about me;

.         Used Kubuntu quite a lot and cool with command line etc

.         I really want KDE4 with all the fancy stuff it has to offer

.         I tend to fiddle with stuff a lot, and have broken a fair few
linux installations, a 'forgiving' one would be nice!

And my general computer activities;

.         Browsing net extensively and all the usual net stuff

.         Msn Messenger

.         PHP/MySQL development

.         (Some Sql Server / ASP Dev /vb-vba- But could remote to a VPS or
use VM for that)

.         Pop3/Imap email client (I use outlook currently)

.         Sync things with my Sony Erricson phone (Music/Pics) so would like
an alternative (But it acts as mass storage if needed)

.         Use memory cards and Usb sticks

.         Have a network hard drive, and print server

.         Use wireless network mostly

I do like to play a few windows games now and again ( COD or Secondlife
perhaps)

So maybe Linux fits my needs quite well,

I have a 2Ghz Dual Core Acer Aspire 5920 Laptop, with 2GB memory.

Any advice would be appreciated!!

(p.s. Im currently trying out the Mandriva 2009 VM)

Thanks V Much in advance!