[Wylug-discuss] Linux Distribution

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 25 21:05:04 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 25 November 2008 20:19:00 James Hitchcock wrote:
> Hey, I know this may open a big debate/can of worms, however Just after
> some advice about linux distro's. Im a vista user at the moment, but wish
> to make the switch to linux nearly full time. I want to run it in a VM for
> a few months, and If im happy with it, move to it fully (Perhaps with
> windows in a VM + Wine for emergencies!) Im just not sure what distro to go
> with.
>

> A bit about me;
>
> .         Used Kubuntu quite a lot and cool with command line etc
>
> .         I really want KDE4 with all the fancy stuff it has to offer
>
> .         I tend to fiddle with stuff a lot, and have broken a fair few
> linux installations, a 'forgiving' one would be nice!
>

> And my general computer activities;
>

> .         Browsing net extensively and all the usual net stuff
>
> .         Msn Messenger
>
> .         PHP/MySQL development
>
> .         (Some Sql Server / ASP Dev /vb-vba- But could remote to a VPS or
> use VM for that)
>
> .         Pop3/Imap email client (I use outlook currently)
>
> .         Sync things with my Sony Erricson phone (Music/Pics) so would
> like an alternative (But it acts as mass storage if needed)
>
> .         Use memory cards and Usb sticks
>
> .         Have a network hard drive, and print server
>
> .         Use wireless network mostly
>
> I do like to play a few windows games now and again ( COD or Secondlife
> perhaps)
>

> So maybe Linux fits my needs quite well,
>
> I have a 2Ghz Dual Core Acer Aspire 5920 Laptop, with 2GB memory.
>

> Any advice would be appreciated!!
>

> (p.s. Im currently trying out the Mandriva 2009 VM)
>

> Thanks V Much in advance!

All the distros are the same at base level, but the differences decide exactly
what is right for you.  The only way to tell is to try out a few.  Use as many
VM installs are Live CD/DVD distros as you can.  When you find which you are
most happy with, that's the one for you.  Time-consuming, but it's that
simple.  HTH

Anne