[Wylug-discuss] Linux Distribution

Stephen Patterson steve at patter.mine.nu
Tue Nov 25 22:09:45 UTC 2008

On 25 Nov 08, James Hitchcock (james at jhitchcock.com) wrote:

> .         Browsing net extensively and all the usual net stuff
Works just fine, very rare problems with people creating fiercely "IE
only" sites or viewing some sites that have videos in a windows-only
format.

> .         Msn Messenger
Well supported, good alternatives on many distros (kopete, pidgin)

> .         Pop3/Imap email client (I use outlook currently)
Plenty of available clients - evolution's the most outlook-like (email
& calendar etc)

> .         Sync things with my Sony Erricson phone (Music/Pics) so would like
> an alternative (But it acts as mass storage if needed)
Pass, though if its mass storage recent linux desktops should pick it up
& show it as a drive.

> .         Use memory cards and Usb sticks
These days they're all mass-storage devices, any distro should just pick
them up & work.

> .         Have a network hard drive, and print server
If the network hard drive's using something standard (windows SMB for
instance) then it ought to work.

> .         Use wireless network mostly
I've heard good things about this in ubuntu recently.

> I do like to play a few windows games now and again ( COD or Secondlife
> perhaps)
Emulation/VM probably wouldn't be fast enough for those but there is a
native linux secondlife client.

> Any advice would be appreciated!!

I'd pick ubuntu/kubuntu but they're all much of the same. Fedora core 10
has just been released this week so that might be worth a check for the
most recent software.

--
Stephen Patterson :: steve at patter.me.uk :: http://patter.me.uk/
GPG: B416F0DE :: Jabber: patter at jabber.earth.li
"Don't be silly, Minnie. Who'd be walking round these cliffs with a gas oven?"