[Wylug-discuss] Printer recommendations wanted...

Ollie Clark wylug at ollieclark.com
Thu Mar 24 11:23:14 UTC 2011

On 24 March 2011 08:38, Jim Jackson <jj at franjam.org.uk> wrote:

> My printer, an HP Deskjet 990c, is beginning to play up - "ink" light
> coming on and refusing to print[1]. It has served me well since 2002 and
> has had a fair bit of use, my wife works from home.
>
> Anyone recommend a robust small office printer mainly for b/w printing but
> also ok for colour photo prints, that plays well with Linux.

I've been pretty impressed with my Canon Pixma iP4600.

Photo prints are stunning to my eyes. I can only tell the difference
between them and professionally printed photos when my prints are
better than the professional ones.

B+W printing is pretty quick and there are two different black inks,
one for photos and one for B+W printing. The inks are all in seperate
cartridges and seem to last quite a while and not cost too much if you
shop around.

Seems pretty quick - I tend to print from downstairs and by the time I
get upstairs to collect the printouts it's finished (except when
printing A4 photos). It's even got a duplexer built in (which I didn't
find for a year...), an inbuilt paper tray, rear feed and CD/DVD
printing. Works fine on Linux (I'm running it with CUPS).

Cheers,

Ollie