[Wylug-discuss] Digital Camera Compatibility

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Tue Mar 29 08:54:10 UTC 2011

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011, Peter Nix wrote:

> On 29 Mar 2011, at 10:10CEST, Smylers wrote:
>
>> My previous camera took AA batteries. In theory rechargeable ones
>> worked, but in practice the camera was so eager to dismiss batteries as
>> being dead that the lower voltage of rechargeable ones meant otherwise:
>> I was lucky to take 10 photos before needing to change them.
>
> But the proprietary Li-ion re-chargeable inside my Canon G10 does three or
> four hundred exposures (without flash) per full charge and is still working
> nicely with >14 000 pictures on the clock.

I used to the proprietary batteries were evil and wrong.  I worried about not
being able to buy replacements in years to come, and that they were typically
30 quid for a battery.

I was entirely wrong on this front.  The battery life advantages are too big
to ignore, and you can buy cheap generic replacements for pretty much all
cameras for only a little over a fiver.  You're also more likely to get a
battery meter that is informative, although sadly not as likely as I'd like.

jh