[Wylug-discuss] Ubuntu losing the plot, cont.

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Oct 13 14:46:36 UTC 2011

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011, Jim Jackson wrote:

> Upstart - really love it, especially the improved boot times. Except that
> when it first came out finding docs to help me use upstart events etc was
> like finding hens teeth. Not only that but dist upgrades crap all over any
> changes you've made - not even with old event.d files backed up!

Just as I'm getting to grips with upstart, Fedora drop it in favour of
systemd...

> Canonical obviously knows best, only it doesn't. Just like Gnome have
> ALWAYS known what is best for their users and don't at all understand why
> anyone would to do anything different from their default settings.

I had a long drawn out argument with the developers when they introduced
'spatial mode' as the default (spawn craploads of windows in the file browser
rather than reuse the existing one) with no way of reverting to the old style
without modifying an undocumented gconf setting.  I wasn't asking for a change
in the default, I just wanted a button somewhere that somebody could click.
Their argument seemed to be that spatial mode was better, but if they provided
a button to disable it people would because they won't like it, so they
wouldn't learn how much better it was.

> So the gnome3 stuff just doesn't surprize me.

No.

jh