[Wylug-discuss] advice on ebook reader or similar...

Dave Fisher davef at davefisher.co.uk
Thu Sep 22 10:31:38 UTC 2011

I don't like replying to my own posts, but ...

1. A correction:

On 22 September 2011 10:40, Dave Fisher <davef at davefisher.co.uk> wrote:
> 2. Whichever reader you go for, install the Linux-based Calibre
> library manager (calibre-ebook.com) on your main system and check out
> their excellent forums at (mobileread.com) ... the sqllite db is dog
> slow once your e-library grows to over 3,000 books, but the basic
> functionality (especially the conversion) is brilliant.

Actually, it's not Calibre's sqlite db that's slow, but
reading/writing from/to the filesystem-based e-library storage.
I'm certain that someone with good knowledge of python and the calibre
codebase could remove what appears to be a lot of redundant fs
read-writing.

2. I've remembered one reason one might want to root the Kindle. The
Kindle comes with free wifi (paid for by amazon as a loss-leader to
increase opportunity buys) which is perfectly adequate for basic
browsing and is probably hackable for other purposes.

Dave