[Wylug-discuss] Many Wireless Mice/Keyboards in the same room

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Fri Sep 30 09:47:54 UTC 2011

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011, Dave Fisher wrote:

> Obviously not a problem with paired bluetooth devices, but I've been
> pretty unhappy with the performance of most bluetooth input devices
> I've used (OTOH I've been quite surprised by the quality of bluetooth
> sound devices).

I don't know whether you've just been unlucky.  I've had good experiences of
bluetooth mice and keyboards.  Mostly we've used vastly expensive logitech
devices (MX 5000 and diNovo) and they work pretty much flawlessly.  Typically
you get much better range with bluetooth devices than you do with unspecified
wireless devices.  I bought a sub 5 quid bluetooth mouse for a laptop and it
works perfectly* and the battery life is very good.  Non-bluetooth devices
will lose you a USB port.

> So, what about non-bluetooth wireless mice, etc.?
>
> Are their usb dongles tied to a specific mouse, or if I have a roomful of
> Logitech wireless mice, will every student end up driving their neighbours'
> machines?

I've not seen this happen.  There's definitely a pairing mechanism involved,
it's just not bluetooth.

jh

* Price has gone up.  Cheap and cheerful, but a little on the small side.
* http://www.ebuyer.com/169790-wireless-bluetooth-mouse-optical-sm-309btpremium