[Wylug-discuss] Running Windows with VirtualBox

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Fri Feb 3 14:53:33 UTC 2012

Paul Brook writes:

> Obtain proper installater images and install the same way you would on
> any other random new machine.

I think you're vastly overestimating my experience and knowledge of
Windows -- I suspect the way I'd install it on any other machine would
be to post to a mailing list asking how!

> Lack of useful installation media and validity/portability of software
> licences is something you should take up with whoever sold you the
> software.

It's a Lenovo ThinkPad. I don't see why they're under any obligation to
supply installation media for a pre-installed OS. I hadn't considered
'portability', cos I'm still only planning on running it on the same
hardware they sold me it with.

> There's a fair chance you'll need to switch to a different HAL. IIRC
> dong this involves booting a rescue environment from a CD you don't
> have,

On a CD drive I don't have either.

In that case I don't think I'll bother. I've managed without running
Windows for a decade now, with only minor inconvenience, so I'm sure I
can cope with continuing like that.

I've seen Linux users running Windows in a VM, thought that looked like
it might be handy occasionally, and naïvely thought the Windows I'm
buying with the computer could be used for this.

Thanks for the warnings.

Smylers