[Wylug-discuss] Running Windows with VirtualBox

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Fri Feb 3 15:00:16 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 03, 2012 at 02:53:32PM +0000, Smylers wrote:
> In that case I don't think I'll bother. I've managed without running
> Windows for a decade now, with only minor inconvenience, so I'm sure I
> can cope with continuing like that.
>
> I've seen Linux users running Windows in a VM, thought that looked like
> it might be handy occasionally, and naïvely thought the Windows I'm
> buying with the computer could be used for this.

I have an old XP Pro license for the couple of bits of Windows software I use
regularly (and no, there's no chance of a Free replacement before the next ice
age).

I also have the XP Home install on my Thinkpad squeezed back to a 20GB dual
boot partition, solely for occasional use with an arcane bit of hardware which
relies on a physical parallel port (provided by a CardBus card).

James