[Wylug-discuss] Running Windows with VirtualBox

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Fri Feb 3 15:25:42 UTC 2012

John Hodrien writes:

> If you might want to run it only very occasionally, maybe repartition
> and then multi-boot, with Linux as the default OS.

Hmmm, reasonable idea.

My most common reason for wanting Windows is to see how a webpage looks
in IE, while fiddling with it. Having to reboot to do that doesn't sound
significantly less painful than using NetRenderer, so in practice I may
not make much use of it.

But it sounds worth doing anyway. Keeps options open.

> To do that, shrink the Win7 partition.  Not too painful.

Good to hear. Any clues as to how?

> Then install Linux.  It does mean a big chunk of hard drive is doing
> nothing almost forever but maybe that's OK.

Approximately how big? If in a year or two I'm running out of space and
decide I don't want Windows, presumably I can reclaim it for Linux?

Smylers