[Wylug-discuss] Running Windows with VirtualBox

A J Cole ajcole at ajcole.org
Fri Feb 3 16:56:07 UTC 2012

>It looked to me like VirtualBox is most people's preferred way of having
>virtual installs these days, and that VMWare isn't free -- but I could
>well be wrong about either of those.

There are free (freeish in the case of Macs) VMware options but the
VMware free taster is directed at getting you into virtualising your
IT department!  Otgherwise you run VMware Workstation.

>> I wasn't pushing Smylers to use VMware for delivery (see below) just
>> mentioning that VMware Converter as a viable route to VirtualBox with
>> the licence caveat.
>
>I'm confused! I interpreted your mail as saying that I wouldn't be able
>to run the Windows I'll be getting inside a VM anyway, regardless of the
>technology used to do it. Did I misunderstand?

Very likely you won't for am OEM install.  However VMware Converter run
off a CD/stick or installed on the Windows box is a route to converting
to VBox (or VMware) with on the fly fixups for drivers etc..

Andrew